Birth Place: Glendale, CA
Family: 2 daughters, 3 grandsons
Personal strengths: I'm enthusiastic, a hard worker and good team player. I'm action oriented and suit up and show up.
Personal weaknesses: I don't like conflict, I get too busy, I can be too critical.
Reason for joining Northstar: To meet and spend time with likeminded athletes committed to long term fitness and health.
Favorite running shoes: Saucony, New Balance
Favorite place to run: trail running
- Short-term: I turn 60 this month. I want to run a respectable 1 mile race, 5k race, 4 or 5 mile race,10k race,
- 10 mile race and half marathon this year and do well in my new age group.
- Long-term: I'd be happy if I could run, at least a little bit, the rest of my life.
Proudest Running Achievement: The running achievement I worked the hardest for was my marathon PR. I wanted to run 26 miles at a 7:50 average more than I wanted a particular time. It took 4 or 5 tries or training cycles and one heck of a hard race to finally accomplish this. I feel like I can hang my hat on this one.
Typical training week, a month or two before a major race: I haven't run a major race that I've trained for in 5 years.
Running idol: I'm embarrassed to say that it's a Minnesota woman and I wouldn't want her to know. Ha!
Injuries: Many feet, hip, femoral neck stress fractures. 2 complete breaks. PRs:
- Marathon PR: 3:24:35 - 2016 - Ely Marathon
- Half-Marathon PR: - 1:37:23 - 2014 - Gary Bjorkland
- 25K PR: - Never run
- 10 Mile PR: - 1:13:24 - 2011 - TC10
- 10K PR: - 42:?? 2016 - Flying Finn 10k, Embarrass, MN
- 5K PR: 20:37 - 2016 - Quad City's Courage 5k
- 1 Mile PR: 6:09 - 2016 - Duluth Mile
Non-running Hobbies: I volunteer a lot with The Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, my church and with a few other organizations. I've volunteered away from home 8-12 weeks a year the past 5 years. I might stick closer to home volunteering in the future though. I LOVE hiking!!!! Camping too! I've done some really cool long solo hikes across states and even countries. I like to bike too. I do a lot of it and often am on a bike trip or riding with a group somewhere. I ride the Habitat for Humanity 500 mile bike ride every summer. I like to swim, cross country ski and snowshoe too!
Anything else interesting you'd like to share? I just moved from Ely, MN to be closer to family. My friends can't believe I moved because loved Ely outdoor activities so much. They think I'll be back but I don't think so. I love it here and I'm not having a hard time adjusting at all. Northstar has helped with my transition. It's been a super fun add and has really helped me to meet new friends and to feel part of a community!